Searching for a mattress topper to improve the comfort level of your bed can be an absolute minefield.
There are so many varieties to choose between. From memory foam, latex and natural fibres to those made from micro fibres and feathers in the more budget friendly range.
We decided to take the hard work out of it for you and thoroughly researched the best mattress toppers available.
We hope to help you make the most informed buying decision.
This may seem obvious, but the mattress topper needs to be the same size as the bed to ensure maximum comfort. Our guide will focus on double bed size, but each one will be available in varying sizes by following the link.
- Memory Foam. Mimic an actual memory foam mattress. Offer great support as they mould to the body and absorb any movement of your sleeping partner. Contour to your shape and reform once you’re out of bed. These are great to help alleviate pain from sore joints.
- Micro fibre and hollow fibre. (polyester blends)
- Tend to be very soft and light. Made from a breathable fabric. Usually less expensive, reflected in their shorter life span.
- Have hypoallergenic properties so are ideal for allergy sufferers. They are made from natural materials and offer great support and comfort. They are often more expensive than other types. They are breathable and therefore, cooler. Perfect for pain sufferers as they have immediate bounce-back characteristics.
- Imagine lying on a feather filled duvet and you will have a sense of just how soft these mattress toppers are. They are usually less expensive unless you plump for a premium brand.
This is very much a personal decision. Some prefer a soft and deep mattress, while others prefer the more firm and supportive type.
Some of our featured mattress toppers are designed to help people with pain issues get a good night’s sleep.
You can purchase a mattress topper for less than £30 or you can go to the very high-end and expect to pay in excess of £200.
If you own a relatively new, premium mattress that is just too firm, then investing in a topper is a good idea.
If your mattress is old and sagging, then you could actually update the mattress for the cost of a top-of-the-range topper.
(Available in Double, King or Single)
If you are unfortunate enough to suffer with asthma or allergies, this mattress topper is worthy of serious consideration.
For its relatively inexpensive price you can soften the most firm bed and get a good sleep.
Its cotton surface helps to keep you cool and the comfort level is ideal to soothe minor aches and pains.
It is delivered vacuum packed, place it in the sun for a few hours and give it a good fluff up for it to return to its actual thickness.
It feels good quality and can safely be washed in the machine and then tumble dried on a low setting.
What we love about this mattress topper
It hasn’t got flimsy straps to hold it still but a deep elasticated skirt that tucks beneath the mattress to keep it in perfect place.
This is soft and breathable enough to enhance the firmest mattress.
- Hypoallergenic for asthma and allergy sufferers
- Comfortable and breathable fabric
- Offers relief from minor pain
- Machine washable and tumble dryer safe
- Fits mattresses with depths of 8” – 21”
- There are thicker mattresses available
- Occasional needs a shake to even out
If you’re looking to replicate that super soft feeling of grandma’s feather bed, then take a look at this.
Made with small, soft goose feathers and almost 7cm deep it is ideal for putting on a hard mattress to soften it up.
Some feather mattresses have a tendency to poke you as you sleep, so this one has been double stitched to stop that happening.
Warm and snug to sleep in while needing just the occasional shake to realign the feathers, this really is a lovely topper.
What we love about it
The top is made from 100% cotton which is cooling and also anti-dust mite.
You will get a cosy, cloud-like sleep and feel safe in the knowledge that the topper won’t move, it has 4 strong elastics to grip the corners of the mattress.
- 100% high-grade, small, white goose feathers
- Double stitched to stop feathers from escaping
- Machine washable
- Deep, luxurious feel
- Regains shape immediately with occasional shake
- Strong elastic straps
- Not tumble dryer safe
- You may feel the very occasional poke from a feather, easily overcome by using 2 sheets.
This might be the mattress topper that you’re looking for if your mattress makes you unbearably hot as you try to sleep.
It has a unique design, almost like 2 toppers sandwiched together and held together by a mesh sidewall. What this actually means is that the topper can breathe and has unrivalled air circulation. The air flows freely between the layers and across your body to keep your temperature regulated.
That air is fresh too; the meshing lets all of the warm, stale air and moisture escape.
What we love about it
The brand, Silentnight, is a company that we trust. They are synonymous with high quality and good sleep.
It has been made with no allergy causing materials so perfect for those with asthma.
The long corner elastics will keep it in place on mattresses up to 30cmdeep.
- 2 year manufacturer’s guarantee
- Machine washable, shape reforms well
- Breathable, keeps the surrounding air fresh
- Cool air pockets ensure no overheating
- 5cm depth
- A few users felt it would benefit from being thicker
If you feel that a memory foam mattress topper is out of your budget, see if this changes your mind.
It really is just a perfectly measured and cut piece of foam that sits atop your bed.
It doesn’t come with a cover although you can order a separate one should you prefer.
Once it is beneath sheets no-one will see it anyhow. But you will definitely feel the difference.
It has all the characteristics of a memory foam mattress. The soft, comfortable feel that conforms to your body shape offers great support and helps with correct resting posture.
At only 2 inches thick this can make a remarkable improvement on your existing uncomfortable bed. You and your bed can feel rejuvenated!
What we love about it
The price. It is very affordable when compared with some of the premium range products.
This topper has a soft feel that offers added comfort to tired and aching joints.
- Superb low price
- 5cm thick, follow the link for deeper depths
- Offers excellent support
- Memory foam fabricated by a top UK manufacturer
- Absorbs movement, doesn’t disturb sleeping partner
- May have a chemical odour, leave in a well ventilated room for a couple of days
- No corner elastics. Relies on body weight to hold still
If you’re that sleeper who always wakes up feeling stiff, regardless of your sleeping position, then this mattress topper was designed just for you.
The orthopaedic topper is flexible and puts no stress on pressure points, allowing an uninterrupted slumber.
Many users who complain of muscle fatigue or have had joint replacements are amazed at the improvement in the quality of their sleep.
What we love about this mattress
It is chemical-free. Therefore, it is good for your body AND health. Revolutionary bamboo fibre technology is used and certainly doesn’t disappoint.
The mattress topper is very breathable and helps your body remain at an even temperature.
Along with the comfort and support that we are familiar with in memory foam, it is totally conducive to an undisturbed, restful night’s sleep.
- 30 day money-back guarantee
- No chemicals used
- Orthopaedic design for optimal support, comfort and even sleep
- Machine washable cover
- Bamboo fibre ensures non-slip
- Memory foam pillows supplied
- Possible memory foam odour that needs ventilation for a couple of days
This is a wonderful mattress topper for those who are eco-friendly as it contains zero chemicals. Made from latex is gives the user a comfortable sleep that relaxes muscles and provides relief to pressure points.
It feels very different to a memory foam topper. Rather than feeling enveloped, this is a much springier and bouncy experience. You won’t sink into it, just rest peacefully on it.
It is a medium comfort rating and when placed on your existing mattress, could possibly end your quest for a perfect night’s sleep.
Support comes from the mattress; the topper just enhances the level of comfort.
Allergies and irritations will be kept at bay as latex is free of parasites, dust-mites and bacteria. This is ideal for asthma sufferers.
What we love about it
A company must be absolutely sure of the superior quality of their product to offer a huge 10 year warranty.
Latex may be the more expensive option but it is easy to see why.
You don’t have to wait for the dip that you’ve left to reform, latex bounces back immediately. With each new sleeping position the generous natural latex layer settles to offer superior softness and comfort.
- 10 year warranty
- Latex is 100% chemical free
- Hypo-allergenic and antibacterial
- Cover zips off and is machine washable
- Superb for aches, pains and joint problems
- Maintains its shape with no need to shake
- Brilliant long term investment
- Durable, long service life
- Can emit an odour when fresh from packaging
- More pricey than other types
If you’re unfortunate enough to be lying on a lumpy mattress and are craving something softer that won’t cost the earth, look what we have found.
This 8cm deep mattress almost looks like a cloud and promises a cloud-like sleep.
It has a clever box-stitch design; it resembles lots of quilted cubes. This stops the filling gathering in one area as in some hollow fibre mattresses, it stays put. The topper won’t need to be removed and shaken to return to its intended shape.
Each cube has little dots embossed on it that give a delicate massage effect as you sleep.
What we love about it
Its price point. It costs very little for a product that will give you a warm and cosy, restful sleep.
Washing in the machine is always an added advantage. As are the elasticated loops that maintain it stays in place.
It just looks so deep and inviting, and will enhance any tired mattresses as well as soften firm ones.
- Box stitched microfibre that stays in place
- Extra luxurious softness to tired or firm beds
- 3-D massage effect
- Fantastic low price
- Machine washable
- Elastic straps maintains its position
- Has a shorter life span than memory foam or latex toppers
For those who are seeking some respite from overheating during the night then this mattress topper is worth considering.
The high quality memory foam inner has been infused with a cooling gel that reacts when pressure is applied. It cleverly dissipates heat away from the body.
Pair this with the temperature regulating, soft bamboo cover and you will be waving goodbye to hot flushes and night sweats.
The bamboo cover is naturally hypoallergenic which makes things easier for allergy sufferers.
What we love about it
This mattress topper is staying put, regardless of how much you toss and turn.
It not only has strong elastic straps, but also tiny silicone spots form an anti-slip surface to make double sure it stays in place.
This topper provides just the right amount of softness and cushioning to make a firm mattress very sleepable.
The memory foam forms perfectly to your sleeping position and holds you there. This means support is given anywhere needed, stiff necks and aching joints that were there when you went to bed will ease during the night.
The Panda mattress topper will certainly see you waking up refreshed and ready to face the day.
- 10 year money-back, satisfaction guaranteed, warranty
- Bamboo cover, breathable, eco-friendly, anti-allergen and anti-bacterial
- Hydro-foam, cooling gel enables cool sleep
- Memory foam offers orthopaedic support
- Non-slip cover plus straps
- Removable and washing machine safe cover
- Memory foam odour, will need airing before first use
- Too soft for the minority of users
If your mattress is feeling a little tired and starting to sag, this could be the topper of your dreams.
It has been fabricated with the same high quality technology and style as eve premium mattresses.
That soft and bouncy foam offers not only an exceptionally comfortable sleep, it is also very supportive.
Open cell foam is breathable and allows air to circulate more so than standard memory foam. This maintains a cooler body temperature. Soft, comfy and cool, who could ask for more?
What we love about it
Do you travel a lot and are tired of uncomfortable, lumpy hotel beds? You can simply roll you eve mattress topper up, use the straps to clip it shut, and take it on your journey.
Every night will feel like sleeping in your own bed.
Allergy sufferers can breathe easy; this mattress is safe for you. Absolutely no harmful or nasty chemicals have been used.
If you ever find that your mattress topper needs to be washed, simply unzip the top layer and throw it in the machine.
There will still be 3cm of foam remaining; this is what gives the topper its superior, more luxurious feel.
- 3 year guarantee
- Rejuvenates tiring mattresses
- 100% hypoallergenic
- Air holes draw away heat and moisture for a comfortable sleep
- Strong straps keep it in place
- Ideal for taking on journeys
- Exactly the same technology as the ‘eve’ premium quality mattress
- Few users suggest the mattress topper slips slightly during the night
What size mattress topper should I buy?
It is simple, if you have a king-size bed then you will need a king-size topper, there is no need to go up or down a size.
It can seem a little confusing when some toppers are given in measurements and not the names that we may be used to.
Here is a size guide:
Single 90cm x 190cm
Double 135cm x 190cm
King size 150cm x 200cm
Super king size 180cm x 200cm
What is the difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper?
A mattress pad is sometimes known as a mattress protector and does just that.
It will keep your mattress clean and stain free. It is usually very thin and sits over your mattress exactly as a fitted sheet would.
Other styles zip around the entire mattress, they are usually to protect against parasites and dust mites.
They are simple to wash but do nothing to enhance the quality of your sleep, as the mattress topper does.
Can you use an electric/heated blanket with a memory foam mattress topper?
Always check with the owner’s manual first, but yes, you will be safe to use one.
Although the issue isn’t of safety. The point of memory foam is to conform to your body shape. With an electric blanket between you and the topper, it can’t perform its job properly.
A heated over blanket or duvet may be a better idea.
Which is the best mattress topper for a bad back?
We would usually recommend using memory foam as it offers greater support and helps keep your spine in alignment.
If you share a bed you won’t be disturbed by your partner’s movements either as the foam moulds around the 2 individual bodies. This should help you to rest easily and be undisturbed.
Also, you could try an orthopaedic mattress, one that specialises in the care of bones and joints.
Latex is springier and is good at soothing aching bones. Many users with sciatica and arthritis rejoice over their improved sleep with a latex mattress topper. However, they are the more expensive option.
Will a mattress topper save my old mattress?
They are designed to enhance an existing mattress. So if your bed is too hard or firm, then a topper could make it softer and more comfortable.
If your mattress truly has seen better days, then you may be wasting your money. You could be better off replacing the mattress.
However, if it is only showing very early signs of fatigue, then yes, a mattress topper most certainly could rejuvenate it and you for that matter!
Are mattress toppers machine washable?
Many of them are, yes, some are tumble dryer friendly too.
Always refer to the instructions on the washing label.
When the entire topper can’t be washer, there is often a cover that easily zips off and can go in the washing machine.
If you have already gone to the expense of a new mattress and found that it isn’t as comfortable as you had hoped you shouldn’t just have to accept it.
The Better Sleep Council recommends that you change your mattress every 7-10 years.
That is a very long time to suffer uncomfortable and restless nights.
By simply adding the best mattress topper to your bed, you could have years worth of pain-free, and cosy deep sleep.
Hopefully by using our review and buying guide you will rest assured, no pun intended!